Forums

Topic: What Will Be The Big Holiday Nintendo Game for 2024?

Posts 21 to 24 of 24

Sir_Axeman

Sisilly_G wrote:

I am not expecting a major AAA title for the silly season, but like you, I am expecting some kind of port/remake/collection to keep the Switch afloat as it is very likely that the next console will release in in early 2025, if not this holiday (and imagine the demand!).
And speaking of 3D Mario, a standalone release of Super Mario Galaxy 2 (or a double pack seeing as the first game is no longer available) would be great.

What I'm really hoping for is a port of Pokémon X/Y ahead of 2025's Legends game. They wouldn't need to completely remake the game, though some upgraded textures and such would be appreciated. Perhaps they could release it at a budget price to reflect the fact that it's a smaller scale project too. Plenty of young Pokémon fans would have been too young to play the original Gen VI games, so this would be a great way to make it accessible again.

Pokemon X & Y were pretty Damn Good ngL

i enjoy Mario Kart Double Dash and Cups of Tea !!!!

skywake

shadow-wolf wrote:

but @Ulysses I doubt the new 3D Mario will come to Switch 1. More sales would result but 3D Mario is a really good system seller, keep it also on Switch 1 and you lose a huge reason to get Switch 2.

I've argued this point in regards to Metroid Prime 4, which people seem to want to dismiss, but it's an order of magnitude more true for 3D Mario. Without question I don't think they want to pad the tail end of 2025 with system movers on Switch. The time for moving Switch hardware has passed. All a system mover late in the Switch's life will do is give people who already have the Switch a reason to wait longer for Switch 2

They want something noteworthy for the holiday sales for sure. But it needs to be noteworthy as a game that people buy for hardware not as a game that people buy hardware for. So the ports, the Kirbys, the Yoshis, the 2D platformers, the deep dives into neglected franchises. Titles that either appeal to the sort of consumers who won't be lining up for the Switch 2 anyways or that Nintendo is happy to let die on the vine as a late platform release

If you look at the 3DS and Wii U releases in 2016 you get a bit of an idea. Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, Mario & Sonic, Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE, Star Fox, Pokkén Tournament, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Rhythm Heaven, Kirby. Some reasonably big hitters there but outside of Pokemon Sun/Moon it's software for existing users rather than software to buy hardware for

What they didn't do is throw BotW on Wii U in November before releasing an upgraded version on Switch at launch. They did do that, but they did it with Pokkén Tournament

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

shadow-wolf

skywake wrote:

They want something noteworthy for the holiday sales for sure. But it needs to be noteworthy as a game that people buy for hardware not as a game that people buy hardware for. So the ports, the Kirbys, the Yoshis, the 2D platformers, the deep dives into neglected franchises. Titles that either appeal to the sort of consumers who won't be lining up for the Switch 2 anyways or that Nintendo is happy to let die on the vine as a late platform release

Yep you get it completely. And it seems Nintendo got it this generation cause they more or less nailed that. For ex Super Mario Wonder is amazing but 100% was best placed in 2023 instead of 2017.

And like you said with BotW for Wii U - if there are heavy hitters they are forced to release on Switch (like Prime 4), they're gonna release same date or later than the Switch 2 version.

Releasing a new 3D Mario on Switch might increase Switch sales slightly but is a surefire way to hinder the Switch 2. It's chasing short-term profits instead of playing the long game.

shadow-wolf

Sisilly_G

Sir_Axeman wrote:

Pokemon X & Y were pretty Damn Good ngL

They were fine. Not my favourites, and I think the Sun & Moon games (especially the Ultra revisions) bested them for the most part, but I wouldn't mind playing them again either.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic